COMMENTARY: Huge setback, but not an end to democracy
The Jakarta Post
PREMIUM Indonesia’s march to democracy suffered a huge setback with Tuesday’s guilty verdict in the blasphemy case against Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama. In the now all-too-familiar Indonesian democratic dance of “two-steps-forward and onestep-back,” what we saw was an aberation, with the nation taking five or more huge steps backward. But if we s...
You might also like :
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?