The future of our forests and forest areas
Associate professor of ecology at the School of Forestry, University of Bengkulu
PREMIUM Environment and Forestry Ministry Decree No. 39/2017 allows local communities in Java to cultivate forest areas that are managed by state-owned forest company Perhutani, which has sparked controversy. Critics argue that the decree would only exacerbate deforestation. Although this decree does not give the community land tenure merely permits to utilize forest areas, forest products and forest e...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- US policeman fatally shoots black guard who detained gunman