The future of our forests and forest areas
Associate professor of ecology at the School of Forestry, University of Bengkulu
PREMIUM Environment and Forestry Ministry Decree No. 39/2017 allows local communities in Java to cultivate forest areas that are managed by state-owned forest company Perhutani, which has sparked controversy. Critics argue that the decree would only exacerbate deforestation. Although this decree does not give the community land tenure merely permits to utilize forest areas, forest products and forest e...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- BMKG warns of heavy rains, high waves as Typhoon Mangkhut ends
- 'Asia Sentinel' apologizes to Yudhoyono, Dems
- Five destinations to be developed into one geopark
- Indonesians ready to embrace cashless future
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world