The performances that help curb extremism
Lecturer at the University of Hasyim Asy’ari, Pondok Pesantren Tebuireng
On Dec. 1, or Rabiul Awwal 12 on the Islamic calendar, Muslims will celebrate Mawlid, the birth of Prophet Muhammad, through many events, including reciting and singing shalawat, which literally means praises to the prophet.
Earlier this year, the scholar James Edmonds wrote in The Jakarta Post that shalawat could be useful to combat Islamic r...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Qatar interested in investing in Mandalika tourism zone: Luhut
- Heavy rainfall in Jakarta topples trees, disrupts traffic
- Online shops not causing closure of retail outlets: BPS
- Gatot needs ‘soft-landing’ before retirement: Expert
- BTS presents tearful, beautiful finale of ‘Wings’ tour in Seoul
- Jasriadi of ‘Saracen’ to undergo trial in Pekanbaru
- Floods, toppled trees disrupt Transjakarta services
- Foreign prisoner escapes from Kerobokan prison
- Bitcoin futures make muted stock exchange debut
- Fight rages on for House speakership