The performances that help curb extremism
Lecturer at the University of Hasyim Asy’ari, Pondok Pesantren Tebuireng
On Dec. 1, or Rabiul Awwal 12 on the Islamic calendar, Muslims will celebrate Mawlid, the birth of Prophet Muhammad, through many events, including reciting and singing shalawat, which literally means praises to the prophet.
Earlier this year, the scholar James Edmonds wrote in The Jakarta Post that shalawat could be useful to combat Islamic r...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?