The performances that help curb extremism
Lecturer at the University of Hasyim Asy’ari, Pondok Pesantren Tebuireng
On Dec. 1, or Rabiul Awwal 12 on the Islamic calendar, Muslims will celebrate Mawlid, the birth of Prophet Muhammad, through many events, including reciting and singing shalawat, which literally means praises to the prophet.
Earlier this year, the scholar James Edmonds wrote in The Jakarta Post that shalawat could be useful to combat Islamic r...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Bali to develop offshore airport
- Novel Baswedan returns home
- Indonesia introduces tax data integration system to boost transparency
- Five feared dead, dozens buried in Brebes landslide
- Yogyakarta to transform into Indonesian Silicon Valley
- Provincial governments to maximize inter-province trade
- German arrested over alleged drug smuggling
- Winners of the 2018 Brit Awards
- Yogyakarta academicians call on MK chief justice to step down
- Soul-searching as symbol of 70s Singapore faces demolition