Estimated loss of Lombok earthquake reaches US$138m
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta, posted: Sat, August 11, 2018 | 02:55 pm
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) estimates that the financial loss caused by last week’s 7.0-magnitude earthquake in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), and Bali has reached Rp 2 trillion (US$138,4 million).
The damaged infrastructure comprises 67,875 houses, 468 schools, six bridges, three hospitals, 10 health centers, 15 mosques, 50 mushola (prayer room) and 20 office buildings, BNPB spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said on Friday.
“The BNPB is still estimating the economic losses,” he said.
He added that nearly 75 percent of the residential areas in North Lombok regency had been destroyed as it was the worst hit region.
“According to satellite images, the buildings in North Lombok regency suffered massive damages. We are still collecting more information,” Sutopo said as quoted by Tempo.co.
The regency experienced the worst damaged due to its close proximity to the earthquake’s epicenter, located 18 kilometers south-west of East Lombok.
North Lombok experienced tremors measuring VII on the Modified Mercalli Intensity (MMI) scale, which classifies the intensity of an earthquake based on its effects, or the reaction of people or objects.
In earthquakes measuring VII on the MMI scale, houses that do not meet the standard of earthquake-resistant structures will collapse.
The Lombok earthquake struck at 6:46 p.m. local time on Aug. 6. As of Saturday morning, 387 people have been confirmed dead, 334 of whom are from North Lombok.
The current urgent needs are tents, blankets, instant food, rice, portable toilets, drinking water and clean water, clothes, tarpaulin, lighting, health services and trauma healing. (sau/ahw)