Kite kills man
JAKARTA (JP): A 36-year-old bus conductor was electrocuted on Friday when his kite string came into contact with a high voltage cable at Pulogadung industrial estate in East Jakarta.
According to a witness, Daryono was flying his kite under the power cables, and at about 4:45 p.m. the string of his kite landed on the high-voltage line.
Iin, the witness, recalled that Daryono instantly fell to the ground whenhe was hit by the electricity, which burned most of his body.
She then brought Daryono to Persahabatan hospital, but doctors were unable to help him.
According to a police report, Daryono made the string for his kite from plastic line he found at a garbage dump.
After joining the lines, which police believe contain aluminum, he then rushed to fly his kite at the industrial estate.
His body was taken to Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital for a postmortem examination.
The city has witnessed a great number of kites in its skies since May, including some above the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport.
Jakarta Police spokesman Lt. Col. Zainuri Lubis called on residents, particularly children and their parents, not to fly kites in dangerous areas, such as under high-voltage cables and towers, and on the streets ""since it could endanger their lives and also others'"". (03)