`Marawis' percussion groups popular during Ramadan
The Jakarta Post
PREMIUM CULTURE JAM: Detailed carvings in the middle of a lute show the Betawi influence on Indonesia’s marawis music. This music was originally only played using percussion instruments. The name marawis - referring to a family of percussion-based music originally from Yemen - comes from one of its component instruments; notably, a small drum. This music has penetrated many parts of Indo...
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Aceh
- Indonesia seeks to lure Chinese tourists to destinations outside Bali
- BREAKING: Government sacks Pertamina chief
- Rupiah weakens to almost Rp 13,900 against US dollar
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire as Gaza protests dwindle
- Google is Indonesia's powerful weapon in war on illegal fishing
- Malindo Air flight suffers runway excursion in Kathmandu
- Insight: Fair trade for palm oil, please!
- Opposition questions Jokowi’s policy on foreign workers
- Suzuki introduces second-generation Ertiga