Commentary: Blanket guarantee protects not the rich, but the rupiah
The Jakarta Post
“If you had Rp 25 billion (US$2.5 million) in a bank, what would you do with it?” asked a businessman during a chat at a private business gathering in Jakarta.
Because the government guarantees bank savings of up to Rp 2 billion, the logical answer would be to spread the money to more banks. But to qualify for the guarantee, you would have to spread it over 12 banks.
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Aceh
- Indonesia seeks to lure Chinese tourists to destinations outside Bali
- BREAKING: Government sacks Pertamina chief
- Rupiah weakens to almost Rp 13,900 against US dollar
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire as Gaza protests dwindle
- Google is Indonesia's powerful weapon in war on illegal fishing
- Malindo Air flight suffers runway excursion in Kathmandu
- Insight: Fair trade for palm oil, please!
- Opposition questions Jokowi’s policy on foreign workers
- Suzuki introduces second-generation Ertiga