Commentary: Blanket guarantee protects not the rich, but the rupiah
The Jakarta Post
“If you had Rp 25 billion (US$2.5 million) in a bank, what would you do with it?” asked a businessman during a chat at a private business gathering in Jakarta.
Because the government guarantees bank savings of up to Rp 2 billion, the logical answer would be to spread the money to more banks. But to qualify for the guarantee, you would have to spread it over 12 banks.
- After stunning growth streak, Amazon ambitions seem boundless
- No instruction to bar Anies from pitch: Palace
- Romeo the lonesome frog is feelin' the love
- 'Do not test Israel', Netanyahu tells Iran, brandishing drone 'piece'
- Fidel Castro is not Trudeau's real father: Canadian govt
- Daddy Yankee gets the world dancing again with viral song
- Enjoying legendary 'Jenang' in Surakarta
- Philippines says in talks with China for joint sea exploration
- Saudi women to start own busines without male permission
- Seeking post-Brexit unity, EU leaders find more fights