All candidates believed to have broken rule on campaign funding
An NGO claims that all three presidential candidates violated a General Elections Commission (KPU) ruling on campaign funding by receiving donations of more than Rp 5 billion (US$500,000).
Fahmi Badoh, coordinator of political corruption at Indonesian Corruption Watch (ICW), said his organization had detected donations to all candidates exceeding the set limit of Rp 1 billion from an individual and Rp 5 billion from corporations.
He said ICW had further uncovered evidence that campaign teams attempted to hide illegal donations by listing donators with vague identities, some with no Taxpayer Identification Number (NPWP), and others from identical addresses or companies.
ICW has reported its findings to the Election Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu).
“If the evidence proves there were violations, the police must act by launching an investigation,” he told reporters at the Bawaslu office in Jakarta on Monday.
Earlier this month, the General Elections Commission (KPU) disclosed the amount of campaign funding received by each Presidential candidate. The Megawati-Prabowo pair generated around Rp 257 billion, Yudhoyono and Boediono mustered around Rp 200 billion while Jusuf Kalla and Wiranto worked with Rp 83 billion.