First stage of Jakarta’s MRT project to start next year
The construction of the first stage of the mass rapid
transit (MRT) project in Jakarta is expected to start next year, an official
said on Friday.
Eddi Santosa, director of PT MRT Jakarta’s corporation
function and planning, said that the completion of the last draft for the
project’s basic designs was still being worked out.
Jakarta Governor Fauzi Bowo said earlier that the
construction of the first stage of the project linking Lebak Bulus and HI
circle was to be completed in 2016. The construction of the second stage
linking HI circle and Kampung Bandan will be carried out from 2014 to 2018.
Eddi said that the first stage of the project would be built
at a cost of about 144 billion yen or over Rp 15 trillion, according to
kompas.com. Out of the total costs, about 120 billion yen will be financed
through Japanese loans with the remainder being jointly put up by the central
government and the Jakarta administration.
Eddi said that the final design for the MRT project has to
be approved by the governor before the project is being tendered. “The tender
will take place in one year and three months. There have so far been a number
of Japanese contractors who are interested in carrying out the physical construction
of the project,” Eddi said.