Families evicted in Tangerang for new railway
Public order officers in Tangerang evicted forty-seven families of trash collectors from their homes on Wednesday to make room for a double track railway project.
The families had resided along a railway in Suka Asih sub-district, Tangerang, Banten.
The eviction was initially scheduled for Monday, but was delayed due to protests from residents.
“I have lived here since I was born and we never had a problem. Now, we are forced out of our homes because of double track construction,” Purwanti, one of the evicted residents, said.
Purwanti, 35, added that the evicted families have reported the public order office to the National Commission of Human Rights (Komnas HAM).
“Komnas HAM issued a circular letter requesting the administration postpone the eviction until all problems were settled,” she said, adding that copies of the letter were sent to district and sub-district chiefs.
Tangerang district chief Mumung Nurwana said the administration previously said it would evict those living along the proposed railway line.
The families were living on land owned by state-run railway company PT Kereta Api Indonesia, he added.
“It is clear that they violated the law by building their homes on state land,” said Mumung.
Selected comments will be published in the Readers’ Forum page of our print newspaper.