Merapi death toll exceeds 300
The death toll from Mount Merapi’s ongoing eruption is now 304, the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) said Sunday.
Recently recovered bodies were behind the increase, BNPB disaster risk reduction chief Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said in a text message to the Post on Sunday.
"Currently, a search is still underway for victims buried 2-meters deep in a house in Cangkringan [in Sleman]," Sutopo said.
Eighty-one people were killed by the volcano in Central Java and 223 in Yogyakarta, he said adding that 203,449 people had been evacuated.
Mt. Merapi’s latest eruption began on Oct. 26, spewing out clouds of volcanic ash and temporarily closing Adisucipto International Airport in Yogyakarta.
Selected comments will be published in the Readers’ Forum page of our print newspaper.