National

Indonesia to appeal in
case of tortured maid

The Indonesian government has chosen to file an appeal against the Saudi Madinah court, which has allowed the former employer of Indonesian migrant worker Sumiati to go free despite allegations that she tortured the Indonesian maid, causing severe injuries.

“The Republic of Indonesia Consulate in Jeddah rejects the judge’s decision and has forwarded an appeal,” Presidential spokesperson Julian Aldrin Pasha said Monday, as quoted by Tempointeraktif.com.

The judges at the court let Sumiati’s former employer go last Saturday, saying that they did not have enough evidence to prove that there had been any torture.

Sumiati, who is only 23-years-old, suffered various injuries, including broken bones and internal bleeding from the alleged abuse.

Julian said that the government would continue to protect the rights of its citizens living abroad.

“God willing there is still a chance to defend Sumiati at the appeals level,” he said.

Post Your Say

Selected comments will be published in the Readers’ Forum page of our print newspaper.