Moratorium on migrant workers to cost RI Rp 13.8t in losses: Saudi Arabia
Indonesia’s issuance of a moratorium on sending migrant workers to Saudi Arabia, effective on Aug. 1, has the potential to cause Indonesia Rp 13.8 trillion (US$1.6 billion) in losses, Saudi authorities have said.
Saudi National Labor Recruitment Committee head Saad Al-Baddah made the statement on Saturday as quoted by Saudi daily Arab News.
He said the figure did not cover potential lost revenue for 1.5 million Indonesian families.
Indonesian Migrant Worker Placement Companies Association head Yunus Mohammad Yamani, however, immediately refuted the claim, saying the potential losses would not be that high.
“Probably about Rp 3 trillion,” Yunus said Saturday in Jakarta as quoted by tempointeraktif.com.
The Indonesian government announced earlier this week that it would halt the sending of migrant workers to Saudi Arabia starting from Aug. 1, until an agreement was reached between the two countries regarding a better recruitment system and protection for Indonesian migrant workers in the Mid East nation.
The move came following a nationwide outcry after the beheading of Indonesian maid Rubiyati binti Satubi by Saudi authorities, after she was found guilty of murdering her Saudi employer.
Rubiyati reportedly had been subjected to repeated abuse by her employer.