At least 19 people died as a result of a traffic collision involving a Sumber Kencono bus and a minivan on the Mojokerto Bypass in Balongmojo, East Java, early on Monday morning.
"The death toll from the incident is 19 so far, with five others in a critical condition. Eight people sustained minor injuries," Mojokerto Police spokeswoman Adj. Comr. LA Ekawati said Monday as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Most of the dead victims were taken to Dr. Wahidin Sudiro Husodo hospital, 5 kilometers from the scene of the incident.
Witnesses said the Sumber Kencono bus had been coming from the Surabaya direction and was heading toward Jombang at high speed. The minibus was travelling in the opposite direction, also at high speed. The collision occurred at kilometer 51 of the Mojokerto Bypass, where the bus had apparently been taking up more than half of the road.
The Mojokerto Bypass connects East and Central Java and has no lane dividers to separate two-way traffic.