Commemorating the Battle of Surabaya and modern heroes too
Sixty-six years ago, British forces landed in Surabaya as part of the Allies acceptance of Japan’s surrender and to recover prisoners of war. However, included within this British force was a Dutch military contingent with a covert mission to regain colonial rule over Indonesia. The Battle of Surabaya followed and is one of the most important in Indonesian history.
The renowned Bung Tomo...
- Kim becomes first North Korean leader to cross border into South since war
- Headscarved students banned from performing 'gambyong' dance
- Indonesia's digital policy lacking focus
- House ratifies protocol on financial services in ASEAN region
- Number of rejected Schengen visa applications for Indonesia increases
- Bank Indonesia open to rate rises
- Human rights at risk for ASEAN citizens
- Anger as Fiji tourism ad swaps 'church' for 'toilet'
- ‘Stranger Things’ coming to Universal Studios Singapore
- Ship's captain named suspect in Balikpapan oil spill