Police planned Bima violence: Kontras
for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras) has alleged that the
police had planned the violence that occurred in Bima on Dec. 24.
coordinator Haris Azhar pointed out that a number of ambulances had been
stationed around the Sape Seaport before the riot broke out in the area, which indicated
that the police had anticipated casualties in their operation.
“We can see from
this that the violence that took place was planned,” he said Tuesday, as quoted
Another proof of
premeditated violence, Haris added, was the use of weapons by officers at the
instruction of the West Nusa Tenggara Police Chief.
“It was not only
the mobile brigade (Brimob), but police intelligence officers and snipers also
used weapons openly,” he said.
Harris, after conducting its own investigation on the Bima violence case,
Kontras found that the attack by the police in the incident could be grouped as
a serious human rights violation.
“One of the most
important elements of a serious human rights violation is systematic planning,”
Based on its
investigation, Kontras found that a total of 81 people had fallen victim to police
violence in Bima, including the three that died from short distance gunshots.
On Dec. 24,
officers and protestors clashed when a number of residents, citing
environmental concerns, demonstrated against the Bima administration by
blocking the road to Sape port, demanding the revocation of a mining permit
issued to PT Sumber Mineral Nusantara. (awd)