The West Nusa Tenggara Police’s disciplinary court found two members of the police Mobile Brigade (Brimob), First Brig. Wahidin, 25, and First Brig. Furqon, 27, guilty on Thursday for disobeying orders and disregarding discipline in a clash in Bima regency last month.
The court, which was presided over by the director for community development, Sr. Comr. Suwarto, sentenced the officers to two days in prison and ordered a two-month delay of their educational program.
The sentences were lighter than the seven days in prison and six-month delay of their educational program that had originally been demanded.
“They are guilty of disregarding discipline, violating standard operating procedures and of disobeying orders. This decision is deemed fair as we took into account all witness testimonies, statements and the defendants’ respective defense statements,” Suwarto said after the verdict hearing had ended.
He said the court found no proof that the officers had fired their guns at protesters as depicted in video footage of the Bima clash, which was recorded and aired by a private television station.
Two civilians died of gunshot wounds during the clash at Sape port on Dec. 24, 2011.
“They only pointed their guns while in a ‘standby’ position; they never released fire. What was depicted in the video footage was a separate incident that occurred at the port after the clash that this case examined,” Suwarto said.
Before the court session, Wahidin and Furqon said they had been standing by the beach and only pointed their guns toward a ship that they said had opened fire. (mtq)