PLN identifies 96 potential locations for hydro-power plants
State power company PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN) said on Wednesday that it had identified 96 locations across the country suitable for hydro-power plants with a total capacity of 12,800 megawatts (MW).
Around 60 percent of the locations would be developed by PLN, while the remaining 40 percent would be offered to independent power producers (IPP), PLN president director Nur Pamudji revealed at his office in Jakarta.
“However, we still face several problems due to poor management of the concession areas. Regional administrations, in some cases, issue permits to private companies [to develop areas which have been determined as hydro-power plant locations],” he explained.
According to the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry’s data, Indonesia has a potential total of 75,670 megawatts (MW) of hydro energy, with only 5,705 MW being utilized.