1,000 roses for Jokowi-Ahok
The Jakarta Post
INDONESIA: After successfully selling replicas of checkered shirts made famous by Jakarta gubernatorial hopefuls “Jokowi-Ahok”, students and volunteers have begun a campaign to sell 1,000 red roses to support the duo in their bid for office.
“Red roses are romantic symbols. Usually they’re for youngsters, but for this we wanted to add a romantic flavor to their campaign to bring peace to Jakarta. We’re tired of seeing Jakarta the way it is now,” said Ima, one of the students involved in the rose sale.
The flowers were being sold on Saturday morning at entrance XII of Taman Ismail Marzuki (TIM) as part of a move to show their solidarity with Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Basuki Tjahaja “Ahok” Purnama.
The roses, which were kept in a basket with a sign reading “1,000 Roses for a New Jakarta”, were being sold for Rp 10,000 (US$1.10) each. On Saturday, they prepared 400 flowers. “If supplies run low, more can always be added,” Ima said, as reported by kompas.com.
“We’re going to continue selling until April 21. Jokowi-Ahok have their act together with the young,” Ima added.
One of the roses’ buyers, Nisa, said she really liked the Jokowi-Ahok candidacy and that the two had a youthful spirit in their leadership.
“I’m going to give these roses to Jokowi and Ahok,” Nisa said.
- Catholic university refuses to remove billboards with hijab-clad student
- Study finds majority of people condemning Ahok's ‘blasphemy’ not well informed
- Rachmawati says meetings, cash transfer not evidence of treason
- N.Sumatra dispatches assistance for Aceh earthquake victims
- Charging-device producer Anker aims to tap Indonesian market
- Muslims lambast Christmas service raid in Bandung
- Indonesia over the moon after $9.4 million win against Churchill
- Public faith in Jokowi remains high despite anti-Ahok movement
- Jokowi meets Kofi Annan to discuss Myanmar
- FUI forces Christian university to drop billboard with hijab-clad student