1,000 roses for Jokowi-Ahok
The Jakarta Post
INDONESIA: After successfully selling replicas of checkered shirts made famous by Jakarta gubernatorial hopefuls “Jokowi-Ahok”, students and volunteers have begun a campaign to sell 1,000 red roses to support the duo in their bid for office.
“Red roses are romantic symbols. Usually they’re for youngsters, but for this we wanted to add a romantic flavor to their campaign to bring peace to Jakarta. We’re tired of seeing Jakarta the way it is now,” said Ima, one of the students involved in the rose sale.
The flowers were being sold on Saturday morning at entrance XII of Taman Ismail Marzuki (TIM) as part of a move to show their solidarity with Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Basuki Tjahaja “Ahok” Purnama.
The roses, which were kept in a basket with a sign reading “1,000 Roses for a New Jakarta”, were being sold for Rp 10,000 (US$1.10) each. On Saturday, they prepared 400 flowers. “If supplies run low, more can always be added,” Ima said, as reported by kompas.com.
“We’re going to continue selling until April 21. Jokowi-Ahok have their act together with the young,” Ima added.
One of the roses’ buyers, Nisa, said she really liked the Jokowi-Ahok candidacy and that the two had a youthful spirit in their leadership.
“I’m going to give these roses to Jokowi and Ahok,” Nisa said.
- Beijing under no illusion Manila will pivot away from Washington
- NU volunteers praise Ahok for his attention to Muslims
- Malaysians encouraged to invest in Indonesian tourism
- Protesters demand Ahok’s imprisonment
- Chinese projects not yet translating
- Malaysia deports 78 Indonesian workers
- Man detained after picture of bruised girlfriend goes viral
- Girl killed by falling board at school
- Reference rate cut will not ‘greatly affect bank rates’
- Govt to ease land clearance for investors