China announces 23 arrests in US gun scheme
China has announced the arrests of 23 people as part of a joint U.S.-Chinese investigation into a gun smuggling ring.
The arrests announced by the Ministry of Public Security on Tuesday follow the detention of three men in the United States last month in connection with the scheme. They included Joseph Debose of North Carolina, a staff sergeant in a U.S. National Guard special forces unit, along with two Chinese nationals.
The ministry said the latest arrests took place in 16 different provinces and cities and led to the seizure of 93 weapons, large amounts of gun parts, and more than 50,000 bullets.
The U.S. Attorney from the Eastern District of New York coordinated the investigation with the Shanghai Public Security Bureau, the U.S. Embassy said.