Nightlife restricted during Ramadhan
(tempo.co)Opening hours at entertainment venues in Jakarta will be restricted during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadhan, which commences in mid July.
City Tourism Agency head Arie Budhiman said that a number of establishments would have to remain closed during Ramadhan while other establishments would be required to reduce their operating hours.
“We will not tolerate any violations. We call on establishment owners to abide by the regulation and help ensure a favorable condition,” Arie said at a press conference in West Jakarta
Entertainment spots, including nightclubs, spas, massage parlors, arcade game centers and bars (either standalone bars or those located in other establishments) cannot operate starting from the eve of Ramadhan until one day after the holiday ends.
Karaoke and live music lounges will only be allowed to operate from 8:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. during the period.
Pool halls located within other establishments face the same restrictions, while standalone pool halls can only operate from 10 a.m. until midnight.
Arie said the City Public Order Agency and the Jakarta Police would monitor establishments to ensure that they abided by the regulation.
The fasting month is expected to start on July 19 or 20, with the Idul Fitri holiday falling on Aug. 19 and 20.
Jakarta has imposed limited opening hours for entertainment spots since 2004 through a gubernatorial decree.
Business owners deemed to be in violation of the regulation could face up to three months in prison and/or a maximum fine of Rp 5 million (US$530). The establishments can also be sealed off or have their permits revoked for repeated violations.
At the same press conference, the Jakarta Police’s head of sociocultural affairs at the police’s security and intelligence directorate, Adj. Sr. Comr. Elfian, said the police would help the administration remind business owners of the restriction.
“Our first approach will be a persuasive one, after which we will take harsher measures,” Elfian said.
There are 1,210 entertainment establishments across the city. The administration said eight establishments had violated the decree last year, two in 2010, 11 in 2009 and 14 in 2008.
Elfian also said that police would take action against groups or members of organizations who carried out acts of violence against nightspots and entertainment centers.
“Enforcement of the law lies with the police. Civil groups will be punished for illegal actions,” he said.
Elfian said that since 2004, the capital had rarely seen illegal raids by hard-line organizations.
“Most of the cases took place in administrative border areas. We have met with their leaders and told them that law enforcement is our job,” the police officer said.