Riquelme insists he will leave Boca Juniors
The agent for Juan Roman Riquelme issued a statement Tuesday saying the veteran playmaker would not return to Boca Juniors despite fans organizing a sequence of rallies across Argentina pleading with him to stay.
Riquelme said last week after Boca lost to Corinthians in the Copa Libertadores final that he had nothing left to give and was leaving.
"The paperwork is ready for Roman to continue to play at Boca, but his agent repeated the decision the player revealed last week against Corinthians," Boca vice president Oscar Moscariello said.
Brazilian club Flamengo and two clubs in Argentina — Tigre and Argentinos Juniors — have expressed interest in the 34-year-old playmaker. Reports have also suggested he may move on a lucrative deal to China or a wealthy club in the Middle East.