Hand phone triggers fire in Karet Tengsin
A blaze that destroyed 400 houses in Karet Tengsing, Central Jakarta on Monday was bizarrely triggered by a malfunctioning hand phone, said Jakarta Fire Agency head Paimin Napitupulu on Tuesday.
“A hand phone that was being charged exploded. It caused a short circuit that set alight electric cables and gas containers. Strong winds made the flames spread quickly,” he said as quoted by tribunnews.com.
The cell phone owner, he said, was in police custody.
“The owner has been taken to a police office. He was scared that angry residents would harm him,” he continued.
The fire ripped through the densely populated neighborhood on Monday at 7:35 p.m.
About 40 fire engines managed to fully extinguish the flames around 0:25 a.m. on Tuesday.
The accident destroyed 400 houses, 200 market booths and left more than 1,500 people homeless. These people are currently residing in tents at Karet Bivak cemetery. (yps/iwa)