Power cable catches fire in S. Jakarta
Paper Edition | Page: 9
An elevated power cable traversing a densely populated stretch of Jl. Bangka Raya, Pela Mampang, South Jakarta, caught fire on Friday.
“It took place at about 1:30 p.m. We remembered not to extinguish the fire with water, so we threw wet gunny sacks on the cable to put out the fire,” neighborhood unit chief Bahruddin said as quoted by kompas.com.
The fire department came later and completed the residents’ work.
Bahruddin said that the fire started in a section of the cable above a resident’s house that was attached to a second cable carrying electricity of a different voltage, therefore causing a short circuit.
“Our houses stand side by side so closely. It’s not easy for a fire truck to get here fast. If there was a fire, it could have claimed many casualties,” Bahruddin said.