Lampung and Balinese groups call truce to end S. Lampung clashes
Leading figures from the Lampung and Balinese communities agreed during a closed meeting in Lampung on Tuesday to call an end to the recent clashes between the Agom and Balinuraga villages in South Lampung Regency, which have claimed 14 lives.
Lampung Deputy Governor Joko Umar Said said that the meeting, mediated by the provincial administration, discussed the roots of the conflict between the villages which led to two clashes on Sunday and Monday.
He said that the agreement would be officiated in the form of a pact during a ceremony to be held within three days.
“The ceremony will be held in a place where thousands of people can gather to forgive each other,” Joko Umar said as quoted by tempo.co. “It will be attended by Bali Governor Made Mangku Pastika and Lampung Governor Sjachroedin ZP.”
The traditional leaders from both ethnic groups had previously signed a peace pact after a clash between the communities broke out at Napal village in Sidomulyo district on Jan. 24, 2012.
January’s clash was triggered by a dispute over the ownership of a parking lot and resulted in the burning down of 63 houses.
The recent clashes left 14 people dead, with nine others critically injured, 166 houses destroyed and 26 more damaged and 11 motorcycles and two cars also burned, according to South Lampung Police.
South Lampung Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Tatar Nugroho said that four of the fatalities were residents of Agom village in Kalianda district, while the other 10 were from Balinuraga village in Way Panji district.
At present 2,100 Balinuraga residents remain in shelter at the Kemiling State Police School (SPN) in Bandar Lampung. (han/swd)
Selected comments will be published in the Readers’ Forum page of our print newspaper.