The Transjakarta Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor 12 that serves the Tanjung Priok and Cilincing route in North Jakarta will start operations in January, one month behind its initial schedule.
BRT Management Authority (BLU) chief Muhammad Akbar said that the delay was because a lot of the construction work on the Corridor remained unfinished.
“We’re trying our best to complete the construction of Corridor 12 immediately, including the construction of road separators and crossing bridges, so it can start to operate next year,” he said.
Akbar said the 23.7-kilometer long corridor would have 13 shelters, several of which would interconnect with shelters in other corridors.
“That way, passengers can easily change to other corridors,” he said.
He said that the corridor would connect with Corridor 1, which links Blok M-Kota, Corridor 5 serving the Kampung Melayu-Ancol route, Corridor 9 plying the Pinangranti-Pluit route, and Corridor 10 connecting Tanjung Priok-Cililitan.
Akbar added that in the first phase, the management would operate 20 new buses on Corridor 12. The buses are expected to arrive this month.
The administration will add 76 more new buses by the middle of next year.
A total of 102 new buses will arrive in December and 450 next year to better serve the existing 11 corridors.
Separately, Jakarta Governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said that one of the administration’s efforts to prevent sexual harassment against women on the buses was through the provision of the new fleet.
“It will be better if we have more buses, so a bus won’t be too crowded, especially during peak hours. This way, I hope there will be no harassment anymore,” he said.
Jokowi also suggested that all sexual harassment cases go through the legal process.
In addition, the administration is also currently working to expand the size of the shelters, which is also expected to be able to minimize harassment.
On Tuesday morning, another incidence of sexual harassment occurred at the Harmoni shelter in Central Jakarta, with would-be passenger Supriyanto caught allegedly attempting to film under a woman’s skirt with a pen camera. Officials interrogated him and brought him to Central Jakarta police office.
Since last year, men and women have been separated on the company’s buses to reduce sexual harassment, but the move met with skepticism from female passengers because men were often seen sitting in the female compartment.
In 2010, the BLU also launched separate lines for male and female passengers to reduce harassment, which was later found to be ineffective.
The BLU recorded a total of eight cases of sexual harassment from January to November last year, increasing from six in 2010.
Paper Edition | Page: 9