Floods kill four, inundate 33 districts in Banten
Floodwaters inundating 33 districts in Banten since Tuesday have killed three residents in Lebak regency and one in Pandeglang.
Banten Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) head Suryadi Wiraatmaja identified the flood victims in Lebak on Thursday as Warsiti, 65, a resident of Cibadak district, Dadang, 35, of Cibeber district and Mustofa, 16, of Sajira district. The victim found in Pandeglang regency was identified as Sari, 75.
Suryadi said that thousands of houses and paddy fields had been inundated after the Ciujung, Cidurian, Cilember and Ciliman rivers overflowed.
According to the BPBD, 6,060 houses are inundated in Pandeglang regency, 3,240 houses in Serang regency and 1,053 houses in Lebak. The agency added that 117 houses in Tangerang and Serang were also affected by the floods.
“We haven’t calculated the affected public buildings like schools, community health centers and places of worship,” he said.
Floodwaters nearly 2 meters deep also inundated the Jakarta-Merak toll road between KM 57 and KM 59. The inundation created gridlock and traffic detours.
The toll road has been closed since midnight. Vehicles have been recommended to divert via Jl. Raya Serang-Jl Raya Cikande.
According to Suryadi, the Banten provincial administration has allocated Rp 5 billion (US$517,600) in disaster relief funds. (lfr)
Selected comments will be published in the Readers’ Forum page of our print newspaper.