Jakarta flood death toll increases to five
Massive floods in Jakarta have claimed five lives since Tuesday, as well as left 15,447 people without shelter and inundated the homes of 25,276 families, the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) said on Thursday.
The causes of the deaths has varied; Mujiyo, 46, a resident of Cengkareng, West Jakarta, and Solahuddin, a 35-year old resident of Pancoran in South Jakarta were both electrocuted, according to the agency's spokesman, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho.
The other fatalities were Angga, 13, who was swept away in a flood; Mak Inah, 82, who died of age-related complications; and Muhamad Haikal, 2, who died after he fell from his bed in his inundated home in Cengkareng, said Sutopo.
As of 3 p.m., the water level at the Manggarai sluice gate in South Jakarta had receded to 930 centimeters (alert level 2) after it had passed a depth of 1 meter (alert level 1) earlier in the morning.
Following Thursday's floods that paralyzed the capital, Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo declared a state of emergency effective until Jan. 27.