Governor tells flood evacuees to stop on-street donations
Jakarta Governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has asked flood evacuees to cease collecting on-street charity, saying that the city administration will provide for residents affected by floods.
Jokowi said on Sunday that he had instructed mayors, district heads, subdistrict heads and public order officers to warn evacuees.
“We still have enough aid. If you meet with evacuees asking for money, you may give it once, but please tell them not to do it anymore,” Jokowi said at the city hall as quoted by kompas.com.
“If the evacuees still insist on collecting money, public order officers should warn them,” he said.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) announced on Sunday that there was enough food and a sufficient supply of clean water for the evacuees.
The BNPB said that it had deployed adequate medical supplies to shelters around the capital.
Despite the government’s claim, many affected Jakartans said they have yet to receive any government aid, as such some chose to position themselves by their streets to ask motorists for money.
According to BNPB data, more than 18,000 people had been evacuated since the massive floods struck the city on Tuesday. As of Saturday evening, the floods have claimed 21 lives.
On Thursday, the governor declared Jakarta to be in an emergency situation until Jan. 27. (lfr)
Selected comments will be published in the Readers’ Forum page of our print newspaper.