S. Tangerang revitalizes train stations, builds underpasses
The Jakarta Post
The South Tangerang municipal administration has kicked off an infrastructure project in an area around the Jurang Mangu train station in Bintaro, Pondok Aren district, partly to ease chronic traffic woes.
The project began on Wednesday with a groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of an underpass in the Tegal Rotan area that will directly connect the Pondok Aren toll gate to Bintaro’s commercial area.
Another underpass will also be built to connect the Jurang Mangu train station to the Bintaro area.
“We launched construction of the underpass as an initial step of the implementation of a cooperation agreement that we have signed with PT JRP, PT KAI and PT BSD,” South Tangerang Mayor Airin Rachmi Diany said after the launch, referring to publicly listed developers PT Jaya Real Property (JRP), PT Bumi Serpong Damai (BSD) and state railway operator PT Kereta Api Indonesian (KAI).
She said all stakeholders had agreed to develop the area, which lies between Bintaro and the BSD satellite city, to eliminate traffic jams and street prostitution.
Under the agreement, PT KAI will revitalize four train stations: Pondok Ranji, Jurang Mangu, Sudimara and Rawa Buntu, while PT JRP will build two underpasses.
“PT KAI will start its Jurang Mangu train station revitalization project next week, while PT BSD will build two additional overpasses over the toll road to ease traffic from Ciputat to Bintaro,” said Airin.
The mayor said the administration had allocated Rp 15 billion (US$1.5 million) in the municipality’s 2013 budget to finance a road-widening project from the Bintaro-Tegal Rotan intersection through Kampung Sawah.
“We hope that the road-widening, the underpass, the train station revitalization and the overpass projects can be completed by December next year so that motorists and train commuters can enjoy the new comforts,” Airin said.
PT JRP manager Michael Toar, who is responsible for the underpass project, said the company would initially build a 24-meter underpass next to the Serpong-Bintaro toll road, to connect the Pondok Aren toll gate to Bintaro before moving forward to the other underpass.
He said the company had allocated Rp 12 billion for the construction of the underpasses.
- Catholic university refuses to remove billboards with hijab-clad student
- Study finds majority of people condemning Ahok's ‘blasphemy’ not well informed
- Rachmawati says meetings, cash transfer not evidence of treason
- N.Sumatra dispatches assistance for Aceh earthquake victims
- Charging-device producer Anker aims to tap Indonesian market
- Muslims lambast Christmas service raid in Bandung
- Indonesia over the moon after $9.4 million win against Churchill
- Public faith in Jokowi remains high despite anti-Ahok movement
- Jokowi meets Kofi Annan to discuss Myanmar
- FUI forces Christian university to drop billboard with hijab-clad student