National

SBY voices concern over
South Sumatra military
clash

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, currently on a five-day European tour, has expressed concerns over the clash between local police officers and military personnel in South Sumatra and has ordered an immediate investigation into the incident.

“The President has instructed National Police Chief Gen. Timur Pradopo to deploy a special investigation team to bring those who were responsible to justice,” Presidential spokesman Julian Aldrin Pasha said from Budapest, Hungary, in a statement published on the Cabinet secretariat’s official website on Thursday.

Earlier Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Djoko Suyanto had also condemned the attack, saying that “setting ablaze a state –owned building was a shameful act.”

“We can’t tolerate such barbaric action. Whoever is responsible should be brought to the military court,” Djoko, a former military commander, said.

National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Suhardi Alius said four police officers and a janitor were hospitalized following the riot that culminated in the burning down of the Ogan Komering Ulu Police headquarters.

Commenting on this, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Pramono Edhie Wibowo said a team of special investigators had been deployed to conduct an investigation.

The clash originated with a peaceful rally staged by a group of soldiers in the front of the Ogan Komering Ulu Police headquarters. However, trouble erupted after the soldiers were apparently incited to riot by one of their comrades.(dic)

Post Your Say

Selected comments will be published in the Readers’ Forum page of our print newspaper.