Yogyakarta to host Cities on Volcano Int'l conference
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta, home to Mount Merapi, will host the eighth Cities on Volcanoes International Conference on September13, 2014.
'We've been proposing Yogyakarta as the host of this event and apparently it worked. Thank God for that,' Volcanology and Geology Disaster Mitigation Center head Surono said on Tuesday.
He said Yogyakarta Governor Hamengkubuwono X supported the idea.
The conference will be held at Gadjah Mada University.
Participants of the conference will discuss not only the scientific side of a volcano but also broader issues, such as how a government and the public can work together to overcome the impacts of a volcanic eruption.
'That is why we will give a theme of how to live harmoniously with a volcano,' he said.
He said the international community had recognized the
government's ability in tackling the 2010 Merapi eruption, which claimed 277 lives.
Sleman regency spokeswoman Endah Sri Widiastuti said that Sleman, where Merapi is located, was prepared for the event. She said a group of regency officials had visited the slopes of Mount Merapi to gather information on the daily activities of people living there.(dic)
- Food that can help your skin heal more quickly
- For train lovers, a bargain 760-km trip may be just the ticket
- BI pushes 'waqf' development as financial welfare instrument
- Ahok still busy on his last day in office
- 'I don't accept the verdict': Jessica
- Ahok sets Jakarta minimum wage at Rp 3.35m
- Indonesia brings home Miss Grand International 2016 title
- BREAKING NEWS: Judges sentence Jessica to 20 years in prison
- Judges find Jessica guilty despite lack of eyewitnesses
- Seeking true happiness through meditation