Yogyakarta to host Cities on Volcano Int'l conference
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta, home to Mount Merapi, will host the eighth Cities on Volcanoes International Conference on September13, 2014.
'We've been proposing Yogyakarta as the host of this event and apparently it worked. Thank God for that,' Volcanology and Geology Disaster Mitigation Center head Surono said on Tuesday.
He said Yogyakarta Governor Hamengkubuwono X supported the idea.
The conference will be held at Gadjah Mada University.
Participants of the conference will discuss not only the scientific side of a volcano but also broader issues, such as how a government and the public can work together to overcome the impacts of a volcanic eruption.
'That is why we will give a theme of how to live harmoniously with a volcano,' he said.
He said the international community had recognized the
government's ability in tackling the 2010 Merapi eruption, which claimed 277 lives.
Sleman regency spokeswoman Endah Sri Widiastuti said that Sleman, where Merapi is located, was prepared for the event. She said a group of regency officials had visited the slopes of Mount Merapi to gather information on the daily activities of people living there.(dic)
You might also like :
- Police remain vigilant in areas with tight election margins
- Indonesia ready for Freeport tribunal
- Indonesia's tough stance causes headache for tuna exporters
- Police terminate investigation into UI lecturer’s alleged blasphemy
- Muslim group promises no violence at anti-Ahok rally
- Freeport gives government four months to negotiate new settlement
- Millenials ask Jokowi questions, their way
- Police to investigate North Korean restaurant on spy activity
- Jakarta Police to deploy 10,000 personnel to anti-Ahok rally
- TV footage appears to show deliberate attack on North Korean