Bus hits three cars, eight motorcycles, kills three
The Jakarta Post
Three people were killed and 12 others injured when the driver of a bus serving the Tembalang-Mangkang route lost control of his vehicle and veered into oncoming traffic.
The injured were rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Semarang Police chief Sr. Comr. Elan Subilan identified the dead as Eko Budianto, Irfan sulistya and Adi Nur Nugroho. All three were Semarang residents.
'We are still waiting for the progress of those who have been hospitalized. I hope there will be no more dead victims,' he said as quoted by tempo.co.
Acting Semarang mayor Hendrar Prihardi visited the injured at Roemani Hospital.
According to eyewitnesses, the bus' brakes may have failed. Suwarno, one of the witnesses, said the bus first hit a Honda Jazz and then a Nissan Livina and finally a red Mazda sedan before plowing into eight motorcycles. The bus finally stopped after hitting a roadside pole.
Bus driver Nugroho Susanto surrendered to officers at the nearest traffic police post and was taken to the Semarang Police headquarters to be further questioned about the accident.
Nugroho could be charged with reckless driving causing a fatality, which carries a maximum sentence of 6 years in prison. (nai/dic)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash