Bus hits three cars, eight motorcycles, kills three
The Jakarta Post
Three people were killed and 12 others injured when the driver of a bus serving the Tembalang-Mangkang route lost control of his vehicle and veered into oncoming traffic.
The injured were rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Semarang Police chief Sr. Comr. Elan Subilan identified the dead as Eko Budianto, Irfan sulistya and Adi Nur Nugroho. All three were Semarang residents.
'We are still waiting for the progress of those who have been hospitalized. I hope there will be no more dead victims,' he said as quoted by tempo.co.
Acting Semarang mayor Hendrar Prihardi visited the injured at Roemani Hospital.
According to eyewitnesses, the bus' brakes may have failed. Suwarno, one of the witnesses, said the bus first hit a Honda Jazz and then a Nissan Livina and finally a red Mazda sedan before plowing into eight motorcycles. The bus finally stopped after hitting a roadside pole.
Bus driver Nugroho Susanto surrendered to officers at the nearest traffic police post and was taken to the Semarang Police headquarters to be further questioned about the accident.
Nugroho could be charged with reckless driving causing a fatality, which carries a maximum sentence of 6 years in prison. (nai/dic)
You might also like :
- AccorHotels to operate 200 hotels in Indonesia by 2020
- Hate speech clouds Indonesia's internet in 2016: Police
- Churchgoers perform service amid rally in Cikarang
- Jakarta Police chief visits Santa Clara Church construction site
- More Cipinang inmates transferred to Nusakambangan
- The trouble with pedophiles in Indonesia
- Govt goes extra mile to accelerate land distribution
- Indonesia's Daud Yordan beats Thai boxer in 2nd round of non-title bout
- Indonesia ranks 7th in travel freedom among Southeast Asian countries
- Soccer fan brawl in Tangerang, one death