Students protest new tuition fee in C. Java
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Students of Jenderal Soedirman University (Unsoed) in Purwokerto, Central Java, filed a complaint to the university's dean, Edy Yuwono, to protest the tuition fees hike.
The students, who got together under the Save Soedirman group, demanded an explanation from Edy on the new tuition fees system, called UKT, saying that the system was against the ruling issued by the Directorate General of Higher Education (DIKTI).
"We reject the UKT and urge the dean to abort the system. On Dec. 17, 2012, the dean signed an agreement that stated he would include students in every UKT discussion [but he failed to do so]," Save Soedirman's coordinator Munirah Dinayati told reporters on Thursday.
She said that Unsoed had also applied fees apart from the tuition fee. Edy refused to comment on the issue, while Unsoed's spokeswoman Endang Istianti said the university would consider the students' complaint before taking necessary steps.
You might also like :
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Indonesia lodges complaint with WTO over US biodiesel anti-dumping duties
- Tax office to scrutinize rich Indonesians not taking part in tax amnesty
- Ngurah Rai International Airport to halt operations for 24 hours to observe Day of Silence
- Nokia Android phones targeted for global release
- Non-subsidized electricity prices won’t increase
- Don’t be afraid to start businesses, Jokowi tells youth
- Quality of West Kalimantan airport questioned following ceiling collapse