Susno finally surrenders after being named a fugitive
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
After being declared a fugitive late last week for trying to avoid his jail sentence, former National Police detectives chief Comr. Gen. (ret.) Susno Duadji has finally turned himself in and is currently being detained at the Cibinong Penitentiary in West Java.
'The arrest was carried out by four prosecutors on Thursday night at around 11:10 p.m.,' Attorney General Basrief Arief said on Friday as quoted by Antara news agency.
The Supreme Court had issued a ruling in November last year, finding him guilty of corruption.
Aside from sentencing him for three-and-a-half years in prison, the court also ordered Susno to pay Rp 200 million (US$20,582) in fines.
The South Jakarta District Court had previously found Susno guilty in March 2011 of accepting bribes and misappropriating election security funds.
Basrief explained that a man named Untung Sunaryo, who claimed to be a lawyer for Susno's family, met Basrief on Thursday afternoon. 'He informed me that Susno was willing to surrender, but only to prosecutors assigned by the Attorney General's Office [AGO],' Basrief said.
Basrief added that when Susno arrived at the prison, the four selected prosecutors were already waiting for him.
'No one was informed about the implementation process,' Basrief said.
As reported earlier, prosecutors had failed to put Susno behind bars on April 24 when they went to his house in Bandung, West Java, as he was being protected by the West Java Police.
Susno then went into hiding for several days but posted a video on YouTube that mocked the efforts of law enforcement agencies to apprehend him. (nai)
You might also like :
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- Don't blame me if Trump not invited to royal wedding: May