Mandailing Natal regent nabbed in Deli Serdang
The Jakarta Post
A Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) team arrested Mandailing Natal regent Hidayat Batubara in the house of a lawyer in Veteran Laut Dendang complex in Deli Serdang regency, North Sumatra, on Wednesday afternoon.
Hidayat is suspected of accepting a Rp 1 billion (US$103,000) bribe in connection with a Bantuan Daerah Bawahan (BDB) project funded by the North Sumatra administration.
KPK spokesperson Johan Budi said after the arrest that Hidayat had been transferred to Jakarta for investigation.
'The Mandailing Natal regent has been arrested and was directly taken to Jakarta,' he said in Medan over the phone on Wednesday afternoon.
Johan said the arrest was conducted after a KPK investigative team apprehended a contractor who allegedly bribed the regent.
He said the contractor handed over Rp 1 billion to Hidayat at his home on Jl. Sei Asahan, Medan, at noon local time on Wednesday.
The KPK officials arrested the contractor and the acting head of the Mandailing Natal Public Works Agency, Chairul Anwar. The team further searched the regent's house and found Rp 1 billion in cash in a plastic bag.
Hidayat's lawyer, Marasamin Ritonga, said he would coordinate with his client's family to discuss what measures should be taken following the regent's arrest. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Why a few drops of water make whisky taste better
- Tatjana's photo with Korean heartthrob Gong Yoo makes netizens jealous
- Police question Rizieq in Saudi Arabia: Tito
- Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon shared message over airport incident
- Trump will resign, his ghostwriter predicts
- Singapore gets a taste of commuting chaos as trains fail
- Government to spend Rp 404t on infrastructure projects in 2018
- EDITORIAL: Boring, yet realistic budget
- Sri Mulyani claims tax revenue target realistic
- South Sulawesi mayor-elect faces police questioning in Jakarta