Green 'ondel-ondel' to enliven Jakarnaval
Sita W. Dewi
The Jakarta Post
At least 1,500 performers will take part in this year's Jakarnaval, slated to be held on June 30 in Central Jakarta. The annual carnival, which is part of a series of festivities to mark Jakarta's 486th anniversary, will also welcome participants from outside the capital, including Central Java, West Java and Kalimantan.
Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo had previously asked Jakarta students to get involved in the Jakarnaval by creating ondel-ondel (giant effigies) inspired by their own imaginations.
Ondel-ondel have been chosen as the central theme of this year's carnival. 'The involvement of Jakarta residents and students in the process, as well as their innovation will distinguish this year's Jakarnaval from previous carnivals,' Jokowi said at City Hall on Tuesday.
'This year's theme is the magic of ondel-ondel. I have asked students to create their own original ondel-ondel so that they appeal to the younger generation,' he said.
On Tuesday, dozens of students from across Jakarta visited City Hall after four months of preparation to present their completed ondel-ondel, which were made of recycled material, to the governor.
'I am thrilled with the outcome ' they look amazing. There will be several versions of ondel-ondel, including the original ones,' Jokowi said.
The ondel-ondel will join the carnival's parade, which will move from City Hall to the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle in Central Jakarta.
Prior to the Jakarnaval, Jokowi is due to cut a giant tumpeng (cone-shaped rice dish) during the commemoration of Jakarta's 486th
anniversary, which falls on Saturday, according to the event's committee head, Sylviana Murni.
'Prior to the cutting ceremony, Pak governor and the 4.86-meter-high tumpeng will join the parade to the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle,' Sylviana said. 'The first two slices of tumpeng will be presented to two of Jakarta's public figures: the wife of former governor Henk Ngantung, Evie Ngantung, and former deputy governor Eddie Nalapraya.'
Sylviana added that the committee would also be preparing 486 small tumpeng in addition to the giant one.
'We will hand out the tumpeng to Jakarta residents during the Jakarta Night Festival on Saturday evening. Pak governor wants to enjoy the tumpeng together with the people,' she said.
During the Jakarta Night Festival, Jl. Medan Merdeka Selatan to the Hotel Indonesia Traffic Circle will be closed from 6 p.m. until midnight.
You might also like :
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Nokia Android phones targeted for global release
- Tech startup Koltiva expands assistance to coffee, oil palm farmers
- Ngurah Rai International Airport to halt operations for 24 hours to observe Day of Silence
- Quality of West Kalimantan airport questioned following ceiling collapse
- Ahok’s deputy promises card-based microcredit scheme for street vendors
- Legislators baffled by conflicting interests in election bill
- Non-subsidized electricity prices won’t increase