Hanura declares Wiranto-Hary ticket for 2014
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The People's Conscience Party (Hanura) has officially nominated
its chairman Gen. (ret) Wiranto and media tycoon Hary Tanoesoedibyo as
president and vice president candidates respectively for the upcoming
'We are a good combination and will help each other as leaders,' Wiranto said during the declaration ceremony in Jakarta as quoted by kompas.com on Tuesday.
Wiranto said his candidacy with Hary best represented pluralism, since he was Muslim and Javanese while Hary was ethnic Chinese and Christian.
Hanura is the first political party to confidently declare its ticket for the 2014 elections.
Arya Sinulingga, the vice chairman of Hanura's election campaign team (Bapilu), said the decision of the party to announce its presidential and vice presidential candidates a year earlier was to give Indonesians time to familiarize themselves with the candidates.
'It takes time for people to fully understand presidential and vice presidential candidates,' Arya told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.
When asked why the party was so confident to name its own candidates, Arya said the party strongly believed it would reach its quota.
'We are confident we will make it into the big three,' he said, but refused to elaborate.
In the 2009 general elections, Hanura only acquired 3.8 percent of the vote, gaining only 18 seats at the House of Representatives, while at the same time a regulation required 20 percent of the vote for a party to be able to name its own presidential candidate. (hrl/dic)
- Convenient confusion: Indonesia's incorporation of international law
- Doctor Strange is not Sherlock with magic, says Benedict Cumberbatch
- Govt to allow nickel ore, bauxite exports under new rules
- Leessang’s Kang Gary to leave ‘Running Man’
- Myanmar most generous country in the world
- Indonesia-Australia continue to strengthen cooperation: Bishop
- KPPU continues investigation into XL, Indosat for alleged cartel behavior
- Indonesia up 15 places in Ease of Doing Business index
- Ahok officially transfers office to acting governor
- Govt foils attempts to smuggle Rp 33.15b worth lobster seeds