Five candidates submitted to replace Taufiq Kiemas
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri is said to have received names of candidates to replace Taufiq Kiemas as the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) speaker.
'Five names have been submitted to Bu Mega. We submitted the names including considerations [about why they deserve] the candidacy,' said PDI-P faction secretary at the House of Representatives, Bambang Wuryanto, on Tuesday, as quoted by Kompas.com.
The five candidates are Pramono Anung Wibowo, Puan Maharani, Sidharto Danusubroto, Tjahjo Kumolo and Yasonna H.Laoly.
The position of the MPR speaker is still vacant after Taufiq passed away on June 8. The deadline of the appointment of his substitute is July 7.
Pramono, former PDI-P secretary-general, currently serves as deputy speaker at the House. Tjahjo, the current PDI-P secretary-general, is currently active at Commission I, which oversees defense and security.
Puan, the granddaughter of Indonesia's first president Soekarno and Megawati's daughter from her marriage with the late Taufiq, is a lawmaker at Commission I. She currently chairs the PDI-P campaign team (Bapilu) and leads the party's faction at the House.
Yasonna is a lawmaker at Commission II, which oversees home affairs and regional autonomy.
The final name, touted as the strongest candidate to replace Taufiq, is Sidharto. He is currently the PDI-P honor's board chief, a member of Commission I, and deputy chairman of the House's Inter-Parliamentary Cooperation Committee (BKSAP). (hrl/ebf)
You might also like :
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Indonesia lodges complaint with WTO over US biodiesel anti-dumping duties
- Japan selected as partner for Jakarta-Surabaya railway project
- Nokia Android phones targeted for global release
- Tax office to scrutinize rich Indonesians not taking part in tax amnesty
- Ngurah Rai International Airport to halt operations for 24 hours to observe Day of Silence
- Don’t be afraid to start businesses, Jokowi tells youth
- Non-subsidized electricity prices won’t increase