Five candidates submitted to replace Taufiq Kiemas
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri is said to have received names of candidates to replace Taufiq Kiemas as the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) speaker.
'Five names have been submitted to Bu Mega. We submitted the names including considerations [about why they deserve] the candidacy,' said PDI-P faction secretary at the House of Representatives, Bambang Wuryanto, on Tuesday, as quoted by Kompas.com.
The five candidates are Pramono Anung Wibowo, Puan Maharani, Sidharto Danusubroto, Tjahjo Kumolo and Yasonna H.Laoly.
The position of the MPR speaker is still vacant after Taufiq passed away on June 8. The deadline of the appointment of his substitute is July 7.
Pramono, former PDI-P secretary-general, currently serves as deputy speaker at the House. Tjahjo, the current PDI-P secretary-general, is currently active at Commission I, which oversees defense and security.
Puan, the granddaughter of Indonesia's first president Soekarno and Megawati's daughter from her marriage with the late Taufiq, is a lawmaker at Commission I. She currently chairs the PDI-P campaign team (Bapilu) and leads the party's faction at the House.
Yasonna is a lawmaker at Commission II, which oversees home affairs and regional autonomy.
The final name, touted as the strongest candidate to replace Taufiq, is Sidharto. He is currently the PDI-P honor's board chief, a member of Commission I, and deputy chairman of the House's Inter-Parliamentary Cooperation Committee (BKSAP). (hrl/ebf)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash