Three candidates compete for Tangerang mayoral post
The Jakarta Post
The Tangerang Elections Commission (KPU Tangerang) has passed three candidates to run in the Aug. 31 mayoral election.
The commission announced on Thursday that the pairs fit for the election were the incumbent municipal administration secretary Harry Mulya Zein-Iskandar Zulkarnaen, Abdul Syukur-Hilmi Fuad and Tubagus Dedi Suwandi 'Miing' Gumelar'Suratno Abubakar.
The decision was made at a plenary meeting at the commission's office on Jl. Nyi Mas Melati.
'We will determine their ballot nomination number through a lottery later,' KPU Tangerang chairman Syafril Elain said.
Harry Mulya Zein and Iskandar Zulkarnain obtained support from the United Development Party (PPP), the People's Conscience Party (Hanura) and the National Ulama Awakening Party (PKNU); Abdul Syukur-Hilmi Fuad from the Golkar Party and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS).
Miing-Suratno Abubakar are backed by the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) and the National Mandate Party (PAN).
There were five pairs of mayoral hopefuls who registered with the poll body when the registration period was opened last month.
However, two of the hopefuls failed to meet the requirements, including permission to run from outgoing Mayor Wahidin Halim.
'The pair of Achmad Marju Kodri and Gatot Suprijanto failed to acquire enough support from political parties, a main requirement to run in the election,' said Syafril.
The pair of incumbent deputy mayor Arief R. Wismansyah and running mate Sachrudin, who are backed by the Democratic Party (PD), the National Awakening Party (PKB) and the Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra), also failed because Sachrudin, Pinang district chief, did not obtain approval from the mayor.
Arief-Sachrudin's supporters insisted on entering the commission office after the announcement was made, demanding clarification from the commission.
Brig. Yan Widhi sustained injuries to the back of his head as his fellow policeman fired a tear gas cannister to disperse protesters.
The policeman was being treated at Husada Insani Hospital.
You might also like :
- AccorHotels to operate 200 hotels in Indonesia by 2020
- Hate speech clouds Indonesia's internet in 2016: Police
- Churchgoers perform service amid rally in Cikarang
- Jakarta Police chief visits Santa Clara Church construction site
- The trouble with pedophiles in Indonesia
- More Cipinang inmates transferred to Nusakambangan
- Govt goes extra mile to accelerate land distribution
- Indonesia's Daud Yordan beats Thai boxer in 2nd round of non-title bout
- Indonesia ranks 7th in travel freedom among Southeast Asian countries
- Soccer fan brawl in Tangerang, one death