Yogyakarta on alert for natural disasters
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta Governor Hamengkubuwono X declared on Friday that the province was on alert due to unpredictable weather that might lead to a number of natural disasters.
'The governor has just issued a decree on facing unpredictable events. He also took the recent landslides in Gunung Kidul and Kulon Progo regencies into account,' Yogyakarta Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) Gatot Saptadi told reporters in Yogyakarta on Friday night as quoted by Antara news agency.
The issuance of the decree was prompted by data from the local Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG) and the Center for Research and Technology Development of Geologic Disaster (BPPTKG) regarding weather disturbances and the current situation of Mount Merapi in Yogyakarta.
Following the decree, the BPBD established a number of posts throughout Yogyakarta that will be manned during the Idul Fitri exodus.
'We have also prepared 1,000 packages of logistics, including food aid shall any natural disaster take place,' Gatot said. (hrl)
You might also like :
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Aceh
- Indonesia seeks to lure Chinese tourists to destinations outside Bali
- BREAKING: Government sacks Pertamina chief
- Google is Indonesia's powerful weapon in war on illegal fishing
- Rupiah weakens to almost Rp 13,900 against US dollar
- 'Islamization' of women's movement in Indonesia
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire as Gaza protests dwindle
- Malindo Air flight suffers runway excursion in Kathmandu
- Dozens of Rohingya come ashore in Indonesia
- Suzuki introduces second-generation Ertiga