Yogyakarta on alert for natural disasters
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta Governor Hamengkubuwono X declared on Friday that the province was on alert due to unpredictable weather that might lead to a number of natural disasters.
'The governor has just issued a decree on facing unpredictable events. He also took the recent landslides in Gunung Kidul and Kulon Progo regencies into account,' Yogyakarta Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) Gatot Saptadi told reporters in Yogyakarta on Friday night as quoted by Antara news agency.
The issuance of the decree was prompted by data from the local Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG) and the Center for Research and Technology Development of Geologic Disaster (BPPTKG) regarding weather disturbances and the current situation of Mount Merapi in Yogyakarta.
Following the decree, the BPBD established a number of posts throughout Yogyakarta that will be manned during the Idul Fitri exodus.
'We have also prepared 1,000 packages of logistics, including food aid shall any natural disaster take place,' Gatot said. (hrl)
You might also like :
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year
- In one tweet, Kylie Jenner wiped out $1.3 billion of Snap’s market value