Yogyakarta on alert for natural disasters
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta Governor Hamengkubuwono X declared on Friday that the province was on alert due to unpredictable weather that might lead to a number of natural disasters.
'The governor has just issued a decree on facing unpredictable events. He also took the recent landslides in Gunung Kidul and Kulon Progo regencies into account,' Yogyakarta Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) Gatot Saptadi told reporters in Yogyakarta on Friday night as quoted by Antara news agency.
The issuance of the decree was prompted by data from the local Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG) and the Center for Research and Technology Development of Geologic Disaster (BPPTKG) regarding weather disturbances and the current situation of Mount Merapi in Yogyakarta.
Following the decree, the BPBD established a number of posts throughout Yogyakarta that will be manned during the Idul Fitri exodus.
'We have also prepared 1,000 packages of logistics, including food aid shall any natural disaster take place,' Gatot said. (hrl)
You might also like :
- Official turns mute about flourishing prostitution in his area
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- ASEAN endorses East Sea code proposal
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- Two Vietnamese fishermen dead in Philippine navy chase
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- British actor Fiennes given Serbian passport