Yogyakarta on alert for natural disasters
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Yogyakarta Governor Hamengkubuwono X declared on Friday that the province was on alert due to unpredictable weather that might lead to a number of natural disasters.
'The governor has just issued a decree on facing unpredictable events. He also took the recent landslides in Gunung Kidul and Kulon Progo regencies into account,' Yogyakarta Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) Gatot Saptadi told reporters in Yogyakarta on Friday night as quoted by Antara news agency.
The issuance of the decree was prompted by data from the local Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG) and the Center for Research and Technology Development of Geologic Disaster (BPPTKG) regarding weather disturbances and the current situation of Mount Merapi in Yogyakarta.
Following the decree, the BPBD established a number of posts throughout Yogyakarta that will be manned during the Idul Fitri exodus.
'We have also prepared 1,000 packages of logistics, including food aid shall any natural disaster take place,' Gatot said. (hrl)
You might also like :
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia's growing thirst for coffee drains premium bean supplies
- Pro IS cleric gets death for inspiring terror attacks in Indonesia
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Britain's Prince William on historic trip to Israel and West Bank
- India offers free e-visa for Indonesians
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens