Lawmaker lambastes 'special' remission plan for Australian narcotics inmate
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A lawmaker on House of Representatives Commission III on human rights, K. Sundari, has criticized the government's plan to grant remission on Independence Day to narcotics inmate Schapelle Leigh Corby.
The Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDIP) politician deemed the remission unnecessary and said the government was treating the Australian national special by granting her several remissions.
'There is something that our President does not explain about the special treatment,' Eva said on Monday as quoted by tempo.co.
She added that the government was too 'kind' to foreign inmates when it came to granting remissions that Indonesian nationals abroad would not receive.
Corby was sentenced to 20 years in prison in May 2005 for attempting to smuggle 4.2 kilograms of marijuana into Bali in 2004. President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono approved a five-year remission for her in May 2012.
On Independence Day 2012, Corby, who is imprisoned in Bali's Kerobokan Penitentiary, was given a six-month sentence reduction. Five months later, she received a further two-month sentence reduction at Christmas.
Law and Human Rights Minister Amir Syamsuddin said the government intended to grant a six-month sentence reduction to Corby on this year's Independence Day. She could also be asked to be a justice collaborator in drug cases. A justice collaborator is someone who helps the police and narcotics agency in drug cases.
Amir said that Corby could be paroled if she was willing to help law enforcement officers in revealing narcotics networks.(hrl)
You might also like :
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- SBY attends ceremony at State Palace
- Ten-year-old India rape victim gives birth to baby girl
- Aceh International Halal Food Festival 2017 to focus on certification
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day