President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said the “excessive” use
of military force in Egypt
“contradicts democratic values and human rights”, following violence against
thousands of protesters in Cairo on
“I am very concerned with the evolving situation in Egypt.
Casualties are rising. Indonesia
hopes that the situation will not worsen,” Yudhoyono said via his Twitter
account, @SBYudhoyono, on Thursday.
He also said that Indonesia expected the Egyptian
government, the military and the Muslim Brotherhood would do all they could to
prevent more casualties from occurring.
“A win-win solution must be found, no matter how difficult
[it might be]. Cessation of all acts of violence by both sides must first
commence,” Yudhoyono tweeted. “Fifteen years ago, Indonesia endured political turmoil
and security threats. We overcame them because military and civilians together
Egyptian military and police forcibly dispersed the
demonstrators staging protests in Cairo's
landmark Rabiah Adawiyah square with tanks, helicopters and bulldozers on
Wednesday. Reports said that shootings were heard during the operation.
Vice president of the Egyptian transitional government Mohamed
ElBaradei resigned in protest of the use of violence by the state apparatus.
The Egyptian government imposed martial law in 14 provinces
across the country on Wednesday, following the dispersion of
Previously, Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa had
also urged an immediate end to the use of violence by the Egyptian state.
“The use of force, which has led to the loss of lives, will
not address the issue. The international community needs to support efforts of
reconciliation among the parties in Egypt and urge the ending of
violence,” Marty said in an official statement.
A total of 278 people have been killed during political turmoil
since the ouster of Mohamed Morsi early last month, reports said.(dic)