City to host another free art event to boost tourism
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo says the city is gearing up to present another free art event to promote Jakarta as a tourism and cultural hub. The event, dubbed the Jakarta International Performing Arts (JAKIPA) festival, is slated to take place on Sept. 28-29 at the National Monument (Monas).
Jokowi said he hoped that the festival would encourage residents to gain greater appreciation for artistic performances as well as nurturing an image of Jakarta as a vibrant tourist destination.
'Besides local performers, audiences will also get to see performers from other countries including Belarus, Germany, the United States and Vietnam,' he said at City Hall on Wednesday as quoted by tempo.co.
Among the 350 local and international performers who have confirmed their attendance at the upcoming festival are jazz musician Craig Burton; Acapella Mataraman from Yogyakarta; the Reog traditional dance group from Ponorogo; the Sakya Kitri dance group from Palembang; the Melintang traditional dance group from Lampung, and the Wayang Kampung Sebelah puppet show from Sukoharjo.(hrl/dic)
You might also like :
- It’s official, Idul Fitri is tomorrow
- Bali welcomes Barack Obama and family
- Malaysian PM to vacation in Bali after Obama
- Ahmadiyah mosque in Depok vandalized ahead of Idul Fitri
- Minister, MUI call for peaceful Idul Fitri sermons
- Jokowi to stay in Jakarta for Idul Fitri
- Passengers found using fake tickets for Idul Fitri ‘mudik’
- Surakarta terminal sees decline in bus passengers
- Food prices spike in Jakarta a day before Idul Fitri
- No merry Idul Fitri celebration for Ahmadiyah followers in Depok