Semarang uni sends professors to schools
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Semarang State University has been deploying its professors to teach and guide students and teachers at various schools in Central Java in a program called 'Professors going to school'.
'I was asked to teach in the elementary school where I used to study. It is located in a village, some 10 kilometers from the city center,' Tri Marhaeni Pudjiastuti said on Saturday.
'In the 1970s, I had to walk about 6 km everyday to reach school.'
Tri, a professor in sociology and anthropology, said her parents were teachers at an elementary school in Toroh district, Grobogan regency and lived a modest life.
The university rector, Fathur Rokhman said that the program, which started in early December, was aimed at motivating students. 'Becoming Professor is the highest academic achievement. A student has to work very hard to become a professor,' he said.
The university had 84 professors and so far 45 of them were deployed to 46 schools in the Greater Semarang area.
While they could not teach the specific subjects the students are studying, their visits were a pleasant surprise.
'We are pleased to have professor Mungin Eddy Wibowo, an expert in counseling. Because there is no psychology subject at our school, he conducted a science lecture. The students were exalted to be able to directly communicate with a professor,' said state senior high school SMAN 5 principal, Waino.
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape