City prepares different New Year's celebration
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo has said that to celebrate New Year's, the city administration will stage the Jakarta Night Festival, which will be totally different from last year's celebration.
'The Jakarta Night Festival will focus on national cultures and will not be centered around Monas or the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle. Events will be held simultaneously in the five municipalities to avoid traffic jams in Central Jakarta,' he said on Friday.
He said all mayors should play an active role in hosting their own events by showcasing various cultural performances from regions across the country.
'All mayors should be creative and innovative. Five days before the event, they are asked to present their programs and the budgets they need to organize the cultural events,' he said.
Separately, Tourism and Culture Agency head Arie Budhiman declined to reveal what attractions were being prepared to greet the new year, except to say there would be a surprise. 'What we are preparing will be attractive and different from last year,' he said.
- Pork Festival changes name to Imlek Culinary Festival following protests
- Kim Tae-hee chooses custom-made dress over branded designs
- Indonesian policymakers prepare for US transition
- SHORT STORY: Love as sweet as poison
- World's primates facing extinction crisis, new report says
- China overtakes Indonesia as Singapore's top market for tourists
- Indonesia to revise 20 regulations in next economic stimulus package
- Indonesia to fight against forest fires starting early this year
- Indonesians love of Mecca boosts lucrative ‘umrah’ business
- AGO stops investigation into Grand Indonesia's alleged state losses