City prepares different New Year's celebration
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo has said that to celebrate New Year's, the city administration will stage the Jakarta Night Festival, which will be totally different from last year's celebration.
'The Jakarta Night Festival will focus on national cultures and will not be centered around Monas or the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle. Events will be held simultaneously in the five municipalities to avoid traffic jams in Central Jakarta,' he said on Friday.
He said all mayors should play an active role in hosting their own events by showcasing various cultural performances from regions across the country.
'All mayors should be creative and innovative. Five days before the event, they are asked to present their programs and the budgets they need to organize the cultural events,' he said.
Separately, Tourism and Culture Agency head Arie Budhiman declined to reveal what attractions were being prepared to greet the new year, except to say there would be a surprise. 'What we are preparing will be attractive and different from last year,' he said.
- Grassroots war on rabies
- Good nutrition entails safe drinking water
- Award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ returns for season 3
- Rationality, deficit in democracy
- Jokowi meets with German President, discusses death penalty
- Repair harm done to Jakarta Bay, fishermen demand
- Indonesia to learn vocational education from Germany: Minister
- 1965 victims: We don’t want communism, just reconciliation
- Cold rice balls, no flush toilets at quake-hit Japan shelter
- NU calls on govt. to reveal truth behind 1965 tragedy