City prepares different New Year's celebration
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo has said that to celebrate New Year's, the city administration will stage the Jakarta Night Festival, which will be totally different from last year's celebration.
'The Jakarta Night Festival will focus on national cultures and will not be centered around Monas or the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle. Events will be held simultaneously in the five municipalities to avoid traffic jams in Central Jakarta,' he said on Friday.
He said all mayors should play an active role in hosting their own events by showcasing various cultural performances from regions across the country.
'All mayors should be creative and innovative. Five days before the event, they are asked to present their programs and the budgets they need to organize the cultural events,' he said.
Separately, Tourism and Culture Agency head Arie Budhiman declined to reveal what attractions were being prepared to greet the new year, except to say there would be a surprise. 'What we are preparing will be attractive and different from last year,' he said.
You might also like :
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Indonesia lodges complaint with WTO over US biodiesel anti-dumping duties
- Tax office to scrutinize rich Indonesians not taking part in tax amnesty
- Ngurah Rai International Airport to halt operations for 24 hours to observe Day of Silence
- Japan selected as partner for Jakarta-Surabaya railway project
- Nokia Android phones targeted for global release
- Don’t be afraid to start businesses, Jokowi tells youth
- Non-subsidized electricity prices won’t increase