City prepares different New Year's celebration
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo has said that to celebrate New Year's, the city administration will stage the Jakarta Night Festival, which will be totally different from last year's celebration.
'The Jakarta Night Festival will focus on national cultures and will not be centered around Monas or the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle. Events will be held simultaneously in the five municipalities to avoid traffic jams in Central Jakarta,' he said on Friday.
He said all mayors should play an active role in hosting their own events by showcasing various cultural performances from regions across the country.
'All mayors should be creative and innovative. Five days before the event, they are asked to present their programs and the budgets they need to organize the cultural events,' he said.
Separately, Tourism and Culture Agency head Arie Budhiman declined to reveal what attractions were being prepared to greet the new year, except to say there would be a surprise. 'What we are preparing will be attractive and different from last year,' he said.
You might also like :
- Australian arrested for alleged street assault
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- How to get discounted airline tickets outside of travel fairs
- Flights, sea voyages safe despite Anak Krakatau eruption: Official
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- 10 best cities to study abroad
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens