City prepares different New Year's celebration
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo has said that to celebrate New Year's, the city administration will stage the Jakarta Night Festival, which will be totally different from last year's celebration.
'The Jakarta Night Festival will focus on national cultures and will not be centered around Monas or the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle. Events will be held simultaneously in the five municipalities to avoid traffic jams in Central Jakarta,' he said on Friday.
He said all mayors should play an active role in hosting their own events by showcasing various cultural performances from regions across the country.
'All mayors should be creative and innovative. Five days before the event, they are asked to present their programs and the budgets they need to organize the cultural events,' he said.
Separately, Tourism and Culture Agency head Arie Budhiman declined to reveal what attractions were being prepared to greet the new year, except to say there would be a surprise. 'What we are preparing will be attractive and different from last year,' he said.
- Papuan rebel leader reiterates call for referendum
- From sex to murder: Dark face of Indonesian cults
- World’s first dengue vaccine now available in Indonesia
- 1, 2, 3: The order is Agus, Ahok, Anies
- Tax reform to follow last ever amnesty
- Hundreds of supporters accompany candidates to pick ballot numbers
- UN wildlife campaign goes live on RI social media
- Jokowi lays wreath for Thailand's King Bhumibol
- Int’l students participate in IPB scientific seminar, symposium
- Better fiscal control saves Indonesia's economy