Luxury highland resort planned in Belitung
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Belitung Island, which has risen in popularity in recent years thanks to best-selling novel Laskar Pelangi and the growing prominence of its hometown hero, Basuki Tjahaja 'Ahok' Purnama, deputy governor of Jakarta, plans to develop its own luxury highland resort by the middle of 2015.
PT Bintang Berlian Belitung announced on Wednesday that the 'resortainment' would have 181 deluxe rooms, 21 villas and Indonesia's first floating sea waterpark when it opened in June 2015.
Construction of the Rp 300 billion (US$27.3 million) project on 7.8 hectares of land would begin this month, president director Teguh Harapan told reporters.
Belitung, the smaller of the twin island Bangka province, accommodates daily 45-minute flights to Jakarta
Local novelist Andrea Hirata in 2008 published Laskar Pelangi, which was later adapted into a movie. Ahok made a big impression by helping Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo win the gubernatorial election in 2012. With Jokowi now being touted as a possible 2014 presidential candidate, Ahok will be a shoe in for the governorship.
More recently, the island has been used as the shooting location of After the Dark, a science fiction Hollywood movie starring Indonesia's own Cinta Laura that will premier in April. /alz
You might also like :
- Muslims celebrate Islamic New Year to promote tolerance
- Schools facing closure after allowing students to take part in 'gladiator fight': Komnas Anak
- Auditor arrested for Harley Davidson gift
- Trump's threat akin to `sound of a dog barking': North Korea
- Police arrest two suspects allegedly involved in high school “gladiator” fight
- Indonesia’s U-16 inch closer to AFC berth after beating Thailand 1-0
- iOS 11 Control Center Wi-Fi, Bluetooth shortcuts may be security risk, say experts
- Indonesian FM Retno Marsudi receives UN Agent of Change award
- SOEs urged to accelerate development of Kuala Tanjung industrial park
- US threatens new sanction on North Korea