Rupiah weakens on Tuesday morning
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The rupiah exchange rate on Tuesday morning was down 68 points to Rp 11,652 per US dollar from Rp 11,584.
'The rupiah weakened this morning following the release of Indonesia's trade balance data for January, which recorded a deficit,' said Trust Securities research head Reza Priyambada in Jakarta on Tuesday, as quoted by Antara.
However, he said, negative sentiment on account of the country's trade deficit could still be balanced by February's inflation rate, which stood at 0.26 percent, or lower than January's inflation rate of 0.75 percent.
'Indonesia's trade balance suffered a deficit in January this year following the government's mineral ore export ban. However, the rupiah remains relatively stable against the US dollar,' said Reza.
Bank Himpunan Saudara market analyst Rully Nova added the corrected rupiah exchange rate against the US dollar was healthy for the domestic financial market.
The analyst said that overall, the rupiah exchange rate was still in line with Indonesia's economic fundamental condition.
'It is hoped that domestic sentiment could hold back external negative reports following the deceleration of manufacturing data in several Asian countries,' said Rully. (ebf)
- Beijing under no illusion Manila will pivot away from Washington
- Protesters demand Ahok’s imprisonment
- Chinese projects not yet translating
- NU volunteers praise Ahok for his attention to Muslims
- Malaysians encouraged to invest in Indonesian tourism
- Malaysia deports 78 Indonesian workers
- Man detained after picture of bruised girlfriend goes viral
- No subsidies for Pertamina in one-price policy
- City irked by ride-hailing app drivers
- Activists up the ante against reclamation