Rupiah weakens on Tuesday morning
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The rupiah exchange rate on Tuesday morning was down 68 points to Rp 11,652 per US dollar from Rp 11,584.
'The rupiah weakened this morning following the release of Indonesia's trade balance data for January, which recorded a deficit,' said Trust Securities research head Reza Priyambada in Jakarta on Tuesday, as quoted by Antara.
However, he said, negative sentiment on account of the country's trade deficit could still be balanced by February's inflation rate, which stood at 0.26 percent, or lower than January's inflation rate of 0.75 percent.
'Indonesia's trade balance suffered a deficit in January this year following the government's mineral ore export ban. However, the rupiah remains relatively stable against the US dollar,' said Reza.
Bank Himpunan Saudara market analyst Rully Nova added the corrected rupiah exchange rate against the US dollar was healthy for the domestic financial market.
The analyst said that overall, the rupiah exchange rate was still in line with Indonesia's economic fundamental condition.
'It is hoped that domestic sentiment could hold back external negative reports following the deceleration of manufacturing data in several Asian countries,' said Rully. (ebf)
You might also like :
- 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle': Star-studded cast, bigger action
- Official turns mute about flourishing prostitution in his area
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- High alert: Mt. Agung eruption imminent
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- Addressing challenges of VAT collection in digital economy