Rupiah weakens on Tuesday morning
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The rupiah exchange rate on Tuesday morning was down 68 points to Rp 11,652 per US dollar from Rp 11,584.
'The rupiah weakened this morning following the release of Indonesia's trade balance data for January, which recorded a deficit,' said Trust Securities research head Reza Priyambada in Jakarta on Tuesday, as quoted by Antara.
However, he said, negative sentiment on account of the country's trade deficit could still be balanced by February's inflation rate, which stood at 0.26 percent, or lower than January's inflation rate of 0.75 percent.
'Indonesia's trade balance suffered a deficit in January this year following the government's mineral ore export ban. However, the rupiah remains relatively stable against the US dollar,' said Reza.
Bank Himpunan Saudara market analyst Rully Nova added the corrected rupiah exchange rate against the US dollar was healthy for the domestic financial market.
The analyst said that overall, the rupiah exchange rate was still in line with Indonesia's economic fundamental condition.
'It is hoped that domestic sentiment could hold back external negative reports following the deceleration of manufacturing data in several Asian countries,' said Rully. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- In one tweet, Kylie Jenner wiped out $1.3 billion of Snap’s market value