Abusers may have preyed on more than one schoolchild
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Parents of two other children at the Jakarta International School (JIS) have come forward reporting concerns that they may have been victims of sexual predators.
National Child Protection Commission (Komnas PA) chairman Arist Merdeka Sirait said the commission had received two more reports of sexual violence in the reputable international school located in South Jakarta.
'I received reports two days ago. There were parents who were worried after following media coverage on the case so they wanted to consult with us,' he said in Jakarta on Wednesday as quoted by Antara news agency.
Arist said the parents were suspicious and worried that their children had also become victims of sexual assault allegedly perpetrated by cleaners at the international school.
He said the commission would conduct an assessment to see whether there were behavioral changes in the children. He would also examine their reactions by showing them pictures of the alleged perpetrators.
'We will confront them by using the pictures. If they feel fear, then they are likely to have become sexual assault victims,' said Arist.
He said sexual violence in a school was usually perpetrated by several people with more than one victim.
'It is unlikely that a five-year-old child goes to a toilet alone. There must also be several friends there. Or it is also possible that he has often been threatened and brought to the place. We hope the police will investigate the case,' he said.
The Jakarta Police has named two cleaners as suspects in the case. They have been charged under Article 82 of Law No.23/2002 on Child Protection and Article 292 of the Criminal Code (KUHP).
Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Rikwanto said officers were investigating the case because it was suspected that there were other perpetrators.(put/ebf)
You might also like :
- Passport stamps becoming a thing of the past
- Three airlines to move to Terminal 3 in May
- Candidates for Pertamina's top post submitted to Jokowi: SOE official
- Jakarta x Beauty festival seeks to promote self-confidence
- Illegal oil exploration activities in Aceh must stop: WALHI
- Govt to take legal action against drillers of illegal oil well after fire
- Music-streaming millennials eye smart speakers
- High-rise buildings must provide access for fiber optics
- Vice President Kalla promises shelter for Rohingya refugees in Aceh
- Indian court jails popular guru for life over teen rape