Abusers may have preyed on more than one schoolchild
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Parents of two other children at the Jakarta International School (JIS) have come forward reporting concerns that they may have been victims of sexual predators.
National Child Protection Commission (Komnas PA) chairman Arist Merdeka Sirait said the commission had received two more reports of sexual violence in the reputable international school located in South Jakarta.
'I received reports two days ago. There were parents who were worried after following media coverage on the case so they wanted to consult with us,' he said in Jakarta on Wednesday as quoted by Antara news agency.
Arist said the parents were suspicious and worried that their children had also become victims of sexual assault allegedly perpetrated by cleaners at the international school.
He said the commission would conduct an assessment to see whether there were behavioral changes in the children. He would also examine their reactions by showing them pictures of the alleged perpetrators.
'We will confront them by using the pictures. If they feel fear, then they are likely to have become sexual assault victims,' said Arist.
He said sexual violence in a school was usually perpetrated by several people with more than one victim.
'It is unlikely that a five-year-old child goes to a toilet alone. There must also be several friends there. Or it is also possible that he has often been threatened and brought to the place. We hope the police will investigate the case,' he said.
The Jakarta Police has named two cleaners as suspects in the case. They have been charged under Article 82 of Law No.23/2002 on Child Protection and Article 292 of the Criminal Code (KUHP).
Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Rikwanto said officers were investigating the case because it was suspected that there were other perpetrators.(put/ebf)
You might also like :
- Obama’s Bali trip includes museum visit, rice terraces, rafting adventure
- 7-Eleven loses steam due to alcohol ban, tight margin: Business group
- Pakistan marks grim Eid after oil tanker inferno kills 153
- As maids enjoy 'mudik,' Greater Jakarta families stay at hotels
- Medan attack perpetrators want to steal weapons for next terrorist operations: Police
- Jokowi enjoys 'mudik' to Surakarta for Idul Fitri
- N. Jakarta officials improve data to pave way for Anies's OK-OCE program
- Malaysian PM commences five-day vacation in Bali
- Medan Police attackers linked to IS: Police
- Jokowi praised for meeting with opposition Muslim organization during Idul Fitri