7 die in shooting at China-Vietnam border
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A Chinese man who was being repatriated from Vietnam along with 15 other migrants seized a gun from a border guard on Friday, triggering a gunfight and standoff in which five Chinese and two Vietnamese guards died, Vietnam's government said.
Vietnamese authorities detained the 16 Chinese ' 10 men, four women and two children ' after they entered the country illegally in Quang Ninh province, the regional government said in a statement.
As guards checked their papers in a room at the Bac Phong Sinh border crossing, one of the Chinese grabbed an automatic weapon from a guard and began firing, the statement said. A standoff ensued as some of the men then holed up in the office, it said.
Vietnamese and Chinese authorities urged the group to surrender, but it refused. The statement said some of the victims jumped to their death from the office. Several other people were injured. It didn't say whether the Chinese fatalities included women or children.
No other details were available. Independent media reporting is not allowed in the town.
Quang Ninh is opposite China's Guangxi province. Many Chinese traders and tourists enter Vietnam through the province. (*****)
You might also like :
- Obama’s Bali trip includes museum visit, rice terraces, rafting adventure
- 7-Eleven loses steam due to alcohol ban, tight margin: Business group
- Jokowi enjoys 'mudik' to Surakarta for Idul Fitri
- Medan attack perpetrators want to steal weapons for next terrorist operations: Police
- Men mugged with lighter in Bekasi
- As maids enjoy 'mudik,' Greater Jakarta families stay at hotels
- N. Jakarta officials improve data to pave way for Anies's OK-OCE program
- Pakistan marks grim Eid after oil tanker inferno kills 153
- Do not return on weekend, toll road operator tells Jakartans
- Medan Police attackers linked to IS: Police